LOCAL ORGAN CRAWL by Jerry Taylor
4 Sessions - Require masking indoors only
We will visit local pipe organs and reed organs learning about the history of the organ and playing pieces to showcase it possibilities. We will be visiting the sites listed below and maybe a few other side trips.
1. The little Moeller pipe organ in Susan B. Harris Chapel at the college.
2. The Bosch pipe organ in Sharp Memorial church, Young Harris.
3. The pipe organ in Murphy, NC Methodist Church as well as a side trip to Messiah Episcopal Church for their organ (that's as much for the historic carpenter gothic church as the organ).
4. The Methodist, Catholic, and Episcopal organs in Hayesville.
5. The Organ Loft, at my home in Young Harris, and location of my collection of historic reed organs.
Jerry Taylor is a native of Towns County, having lived in the shadow of Brasstown Bald all his life. He graduated from Towns County High School and YHC. He holds degrees from UGA, North Georgia College and University and Lincoln Memorial University. Jerry is retired after 32 years as a teacher at Towns County High School. He is a member of the Historical Society and is Towns County’s official historian. His home, known as the “The Organ Loft,” features his collection of antique reed organs.