Dining Hall Prep Cook
The Prep Cook will work as a team member preparing meals and desserts, stocking and preparing next shift/day menu items, helping with dining room set up, dishwashing and end of day cleaning. The Prep Cook will report directly to the Crew Chief and the Culinary Manager. This is an approx. 40 hours per week, non-exempt hourly, full-time and benefits eligible position. Hours will vary based on business need, but normally be 6am-2pm. Weekend and holiday work are expected.
- Complete assigned tasks in the allotted time to ensure meals are served on schedule and at correct
- Assists in preliminary preparation of meals by successfully following direct instruction, recipes,
or prep sheets.
- Possess basic knife skills and knowledge of basic health standards for food preparation.
- Assist Culinary Manger in ordering food and kitchen supplies by noting depleted stock.
- Responsible for stocking the deliveries of frozen foods and produce.
- Assist with dish washing and cleaning of kitchen at all times.
- Clean dining hall at the end of each meal, including sweeping and mopping dining hall at the
end of the day.
- Clean pots and pans in back kitchen.
- Collect and dispose properly of all trash and recyclables at the end of each shift.
- Assists with table set-up and break-down as directed.
- Assists in other operations as needed.
- Must practice proper food handling, sanitation, safety precautions, and personal hygiene.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum of high school diploma preferred, but not required.
- Some cooking experience in a full-service or family-style restaurant preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of care and proper use of standard and commercial kitchen utensils and equipment
- Must have dependable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- ServSafe certified preferred, but not required.
- Must possess a friendly disposition, as cooks have direct contact with guests.
The position requires the employee be able to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven
terrain, bend, stoop, and have use of fine and gross motor skills. The employee is frequently
required to use hands to handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to speak clearly and
effectively. Ability to work standing for at least 8 hours a day and lift up to 50 pounds. Must
be able to work weekends and holidays.
Please submit the following materials below through the application process.
- An interest statement/cover letter that details your experience and interest in the position.
- Contact Information for three references. At least one reference must be a professional reference.
If for some reason you are unable to submit the online application, please mail your application to:
John C. Campbell Folk School
One Folk School Road
Brasstown, NC 28902
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. John C. Campbell Folk School is an EEO Employer. EEO employers are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic
protected by law.
At the Folk School, the health and safety of our team is our number one priority. That’s why all offers of employment are contingent on the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to pass the pre-employment requirements. The Folk School complies with all federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.